Loved by God, sharing that love with others...
At the Annual Conference in December 1921, Bishop Warren A. Candler appointed Dr. W.A. Cooper, pastor of the First United Methodist Church of Orlando, with definite instructions to affect the organization of a church in the northeastern section of the city. In due time, Dr. Cooper with Dr. William Funk, a supply pastor, worked out plans for its organization.
Early in the spring of 1922 at the call of Dr. W. A. Cooper, a meeting was held at the home of T.C. Brannon on Magnolia Avenue, for the purpose of forming the organization of the church. The result was the tentative start of a church that was named the North Lake Street Methodist Church, South. Plans were made for the erection of a frame building on the lot where the parsonage used to be located (now the Children's building) and arrangements were completed for putting up this building. On the appointed day, a large group met early and began the work. At noon lunch was served on the grounds. By night the building, which was commonly referred to as a tabernacle, was completed. With the tentative organization functioning, Bishop Candler appointed Dr. W.K. Piner as the first pastor, and he completed the organization. The first worship service was held in the new building, Sunday morning, April 9, 1922.
With elaborate ceremonies, the cornerstone of the completed building was laid by Rev. Criswell at 3:30 p.m. on December 18, 1927. Inside the cornerstone were placed several articles, including a Bible, a roster of the church membership and a list of the building committee, and a copy of each of the local newspapers giving accounts of the plans for the event.
In the decades that followed, a wonderful group of faithful people has continued this early commitment to offering God's love and service from the corner of Amelia and Broadway. Our address has changed three times in the same location. (North Lake Avenue, then Broadway Avenue, then Amelia Street)We continue to follow their example of caring for our community and offering worship services that are Biblically based and upheld by prayer.
Come be part of our tenth decade in Orlando, as we celebrate God's faithfulness and reach out into the city to share God's love!